Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

That cracking sound...

My walk is slowly improving and I'm trying to balance my weight more and more as the days pass. What I'm noticing now however is that my ankle is cracking all the time. So I did a little search to see if this was normal or could be a problem to look into.

What I have found so far are the reasons for it - in my case since I'm not in the stage of getting Arthritis it could 1 of these 2 reasons;

taken from Everyday mysteries (http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/joint.html)

"Escaping gases: Scientists explain that synovial fluid present in your joints acts as a lubricant. The fluid contains the gases oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. When you pop or crack a joint, you stretch the joint capsule. Gas is rapidly released, which forms bubbles. In order to crack the same knuckle again, you have to wait until the gases return to the synovial fluid.

Movement of joints, tendons and ligaments: When a joint moves, the tendon’s position changes and moves slightly out of place. You may hear a snapping sound as the tendon returns to its original position. In addition, your ligaments may tighten as you move your joints. This commonly occurs in your knee or ankle, and can make a cracking sound."

I think it's more likely to be the latter reason. So it seems to be quite normal after one has sprained their ankle which was I guess was a part of my injury apart from the fractured fibula. I still have pins and needles sort of if I try to go on my toes and go down stairs. Will have to work on that still and hopefully the physio will suggest some exercises for it too. I'm considering joining a pool too so I might check out some monthly gym memberships and take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment