Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

The discovery of X-rays!

Last night sometime after midnight I went on Google and found out that it's the 115th anniversary of the discovery of x-rays. For those who missed out or didn't google anything today 8th November 2010 this is what Google looked like.

Who invented x-rays? I didn't know until I researched it myself and since I recently got about 3 done, I thought it might be some interesting bit of useless information I could impress with during a quiz night if a question regarding it ever came up. Or perhaps I'd just help someone with a crossword right, you never know.

Well here's what I found out in short, you can find out more if you research it :P
  • X-rays were first observed and documented in 1895 by Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen, a German physicist who found them quite by accident when experimenting with vacuum tubes.
  • He called them "X" rays because he didn't know where they came from!
  • An X-ray is an invisible, highly penetrating electromagnetic radiation of much shorter wave length.
Apart from that I now have 8 days before the cast gets removed! The final count down begins :)

No comments:

Post a Comment