Search This Blog

Thursday, November 25, 2010

My first physio session

I was so nervous today, I don't know why but anyhow I managed to get there on time! This was such a relief after the last hospital visit. The physio was understanding, did not use big terms, talked at pace and really took time to understand the situation, what happened, what I've done so far and the next course of action. :)

It seems like I'll be resting my foot still for quite a while, elevation at hip level is still needed to heal the bone quicker since it is not a main one but more of a support. I was also told to do exercises when the leg is resting to keep it flowing. See image below from the following link (http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8128450/calcaneal-stress-fracture-physioadvisor.htm)

The exercise is flex, count to ten, then point count to ten, and so on for turning the foot inwards and outwards. This can be done when my leg is raised and lowered too, to keep circulation going and joints fluid. I guess it's good exercise even for those with no real leg issues! I was told that my flexibility is quite good at this stage, so I was quite pleased. However the physio also said that I need to regain my balance and the muscle lost during the time the leg was in a cast.

Hydrotherapy will also be part of my rehab program, starting next week with 2 sessions booked, which will last half an hour each. This will be after work and I'm really looking forward to it! The spa gives you a bathrobe, towel and shower materials which is quite handy. Parking next door is also 1.50 EUR/ hour which doesn't make it worth seeking a parking space in Sliema at 5.30pm. Thanks to my work health insurance I can also get these paid for! So do check out your insurance policy if you ever decide to go for physio sessions!

That's it for now, if you want to contact this physio you may do so by calling the Fortina Spa resort and ask for an appointment with Alan Zammit.

No comments:

Post a Comment